Sunday, June 12, 2011

Birds

      What are they doing up there?  There are two birds circling one another, perfectly in slow, graceful time to this song "Gravity" I am listening to right now.  They brushed one another midair after a long, luxurious, unhurried series of concentric circles, then they equally slowly went their separate ways.  Did they exchange phone numbers? Was one asking for directions? Were they sniffing each other out as potential mates?  How would life be if we did everything at an equally unhurried pace?  As breathtaking as the dance I just witnessed?
     I just took a huge step in my post-baby (and post-hamstring tear) life, and put the dance pole up in my house. My kind husband took the baby out for a couple hours.  I cranked up the tunes I've been collecting for the last couple weeks as my inner woman started to poke at me from the inside out.  First of all, when was the last time you cranked a favorite song - in the car, in your house (please not in your iPod - hearing damage, people!)  In a funk?  Immediate song marrow, right there.
     My dance experience taught me to move on the "wave" of the music - not the beat, but the slow pace underneath the beat.  The almost half-time beat, but a little behind.  Quite a little drunk looking, actually.  I settled down into the floor, bringing my breath into that drunken half-beat wave.  Music and movement - to me, those two things are like sipping the meaning of life right from the holy grail.  The return to movement caused a bubble of pure glee and laughter to crash out of me.
    Imagine my delight to find two birds dancing at the same pace as me!  All this meaning stuff - apparently it IS for the birds.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment