Monday, May 9, 2011

Attachment

We're selling our beloved cottage.

We donated a bunch of our daughter's toys to her daycare.

     Events have a nice way of lining up to teach us a lesson.  I'm just weeping about selling our beloved house.  Our daughter is obsessed with her toys being at daycare.  She doesn't want the other kids to have them.  I am thinking about how someday I can explain to her that nothing is really ours.  These material things we identify with, these things we believe communicate information about us to others, these things the ego desperately wants to hold on to - whether they go to daycare, the recycling bin, or become lost - these things are not our things.  They're in our possession and then they move along.

     The house isn't "mine".

7 comments:

  1. I can empathize-- I've always had a hard time letting go and moving on, especially from a home. I hope selling the cottage brings you to a better place, both physically and just in life in general. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust yourself. Trust your choices. Removing anything from your life creates space- space for something else to enter in.and all of it is temporary and always in flux. I enjoy your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie and Natalie... I completely agree with both of you - that letting go means moving forward on a path to the mysterious and wonderful future! Sometimes it's hard to look forward to the future when I don't know what it holds. You'd think after experiencing the old adage "Hindsight is 20/20," that I would know that the past always looks distant and the future is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but smile. One of the best days in my life was moving to New Orleans with no job and everything I owned fitting into my Saturn coupe.

    Just remember, Caroland is a magical place that cannot be tied down to any physical structure. I wish you nothing but happiness as you open yourself up to the next leg in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Alisa! I do love the infinite possibilities of limbo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess who completely caught up on your blog from day one? Fantastic job my dear! And you know how I feel about Caroland but yes, I think it'll open the doors to something better. Like you moving into my neighborhood. Just think of how much easier the yard will be to handle when not fighting against a sloping mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy, you are dedicated. I owe you a bottle of wine and dinner for sticking with me for 2 years of blogging in like, one night! Hopefully that means that it was riveting, and not that you had to take one for the best friend team! Now, go forth and spread the word.

    ReplyDelete