Monday, May 23, 2011

Sugar Plum Fairies

     My beautiful, talented "little" sister graduated from college today.  I'd like to say I had some startling moment where I realized she'd gone from my baby sister to a young woman, but quite honestly, there was no such dramatic moment.  My sister has just ... continued to become herself.  When she was wee, she was .... herself.  Now she is still herself, with a college degree.  I know she has a lot of gifts to bring to the kids in her future classroom, and that she will touch many lives because she has conviction, passion, and kindness.  And she's really, really pretty.


     If there's anything worthwhile I can say to you, sister, it's found in the same words I hope to raise my own daughter with.  Especially in the trenches of education, Land of Egos... over my years I've found it boils down largely to this: "All we have to do, is be brave, and be kind" -The National
  
     Welcome to the beauty of the great unknown!  Congratulations, what a wonderful time, when all your possibilities are shining like sugar plums waiting to be plucked.  College grads, love your limbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment