Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Do small things

   STALL.  I've been picking up this book, putting down this book, picking up that book, looking for something to catch my eye to share with you.  The weather is so blindingly blissfully crisp that I can't even think about flat words on the page.  The sky is blue! The air is clear! The wind is fresh and delicious!  It's so good I'm practically illiterate.
     A silver touchstone caught my eye, a small medallion that belongs to my mom.  It was sitting on the counter in a ziploc baggie, for whatever reason.  It says, "Do small things with great love.  -MT"  In this incredibly busy time when I feel I have very little emotional resource for my family, never mind myself, I have been searching for some kind of big time contribution to my spiritual life.  Listen, we are maxed out on time and there are some non-negotiables, like exercise and food that have to be fit in to the madness.  There is no spiritual hour I can eek out of each day.  There is no half hour of morning meditation unless I want to see the wrong side of 5am - which I do not.  No amount of meditation will make me a peaceful person at that level of sleep deprived.
     The universe will always provide the experience you need to evolve - even in the small things you see when you get out of your head and into the present moment.  DO SMALL THINGS WITH GREAT LOVE.  Of course.  Meditation in movement. Meditation in dishwashing, car locking, wallet coming out of the purse.  Presence with the person behind the counter, with the day care providers, with my husband.  Presence and love to my daughter in the frenzied act of trying to get through a grocery store with her.
    Says the universe, get your head out of the sand!

1 comment:

  1. yes! i love this. the smallest thing can have the greatest impact...

    ReplyDelete