Thursday, February 16, 2012

Electric Connection



     One thing I love about my child's Montessori school is that lessons are often presented in silence.  At parents' night, the teachers demonstrated sample lessons to us, such as showing the children how to manipulate the infamous Montessori sandpaper tracing letters.  The humming energy and focus in the room, from a bunch of adults who already know their letters, I imagine, was palpable.  Silence is truly powerful.
     Last night my daughter discovered Travel Scrabble, AKA My First Choke Hazard.  Apparently tiny tile letters mesmerize two year olds.  As I tried to interact with her, she gently shushed me because she was doing "her work" ("works" are what the Montessori activities are called).  I sat beside her, both of us in silence, and an electric connection built.  Although I've often felt the "tingle" that comes when you're in the presence of another human being and decide to acknowledge their higher consciousness, the connection between my daughter and I felt like an electric hum, almost visibly twined between us.
     In the contented silence between us, I watched as she seemed to literally become a real kid before my eyes.  Busy, intent, doing her "work," needing nothing from me but my complete presence.
    Mamas and Daddies, try it! Spend 10 minutes in complete silence with your child, being present, completely utterly present, and see what builds!

No comments:

Post a Comment